IMportant Updates on Billing/scheduling 2023
- Our rates are increasing 5-10% as of 4/1/23. Why? More and more therapists in Alaska are no longer submitting claims to insurance, and instead provide a “superbill” that clients submit to insurance companies themselves. Additionally, many therapists have stopped being “in network” with insurance companies due to lower reimbursement rates and rising complexities in billing processes. We are currently working to strike a balance, and it remains our policy to lessen the burden on clients of accessing their mental health coverage by continuing to bill insurance on your behalf.
- Counseling Alaska submits to 43 different insurance companies, many of whom pay us by credit card with increasingly high fees taken out of every claim. In order to cover administrative costs and overhead, we periodically adjust our rates, concurrent with reasonable and customary rates for our area and within the contracted rate for Blue Cross/Premera (who we remain contracted with)
- Additionally, Becca is one of just a few AASECT certified sex therapists in Alaska, which requires significantly more continuing education credits and certification requirements in addition to what is required by the Board of Licensed Professional Counselors.
- If you choose to not bill insurance and pay directly at time of service, you may request a self-pay discount if the full rate creates hardship.
- Finally, we are enacting a policy where if a balance is 90 days overdue, we will charge the card on file for the amount due from client
- The way therapy occurs has changed significantly over the past couple of years, and we continue to adjust post-pandemic. Many clients prefer to continue to do telehealth, and insurance companies continue to support this (although often reimbursing at a lower rate)
- Starting In July 2023, Becca will be commuting to Anchorage and shifting to a model of strictly in person or Telehealth days, with more appointments offered for Telehealth. In person sessions will be reserved for sessions that can’t be conducted through Telehealth - for example, EMDR, or for those unable to secure a confidential space for therapy at home or work. We realize this is a shift in how things have been for the past 12 years, but will allow for office sharing and a schedule that is more sustainable with Becca’s commute and family needs.
- We continue to be so grateful for your trust and relationship with Becca and Counseling Alaska LLC, and look forward to continuing to collaborate with you in wellness!